[sane-devel] hp4570c driver from modified hp5590 backend almost working

Ilia Sotnikov hostcc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 19:21:59 UTC 2008

On 4/29/08, Markham thomas <markham.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:
> With the TMA slide adaptor on the Scanjet 4570c does not work properly when
> : scan source = TMA negatives
> --> [hp5590] Top X (0) + pixels X (4292) exceedes max X 169
> xscanimage reports:   Failed to start scanner:  Invalid argument
>
> In fact with the TMA adaptor in place even choosing: scan source = flatbed
> after you did a source=TMA
> causes the carriage to ram into the stop.  You have to power cycle the
> scanner to be able to get a source=TMA to properly work.
> So avoid source=TMA,  choosing source=flatbed even with the TMA adaptor
> plugged in will work fine.
>

> Evidently there is some problem with the source = TMA.

Hmmm, I've done little to no testing for TMA to be honest. One
solution is to disable TMA completely until fixed, 2nd - get it
working. Latter requires more work, former is more reliable. What
makes me suspicious is that HP site mentions the model together with
APF (Automatic Picture Feeder), not TMA. Could you shed some light on
whether it requires to feed the film manually (thus it is TMA) or
automatically (thus it is APF)?

> source=flatbed
> line art, color, and gray  = working
> resolution 100 to 2400 = working

Looks promising.

> I will use VMware + wireshark again to monitor my WinXP virtual session and
> see what protocol is being exchanged when source = TMA.  It maybe that I can

The same as with another sources, just some parameters are different.

--
 Ilia Sotnikov