[sane-devel] Canon MF4140

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 14:51:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Bob Dronski <dronski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jean-Nicolas,
>
> There seems to be a lot of confusion.
>
> Daniel seems to also have the same unit but must be having separate
> problems from me.  He is NOT answering for me.
>
> Let me repeat my situation.
> I am running on Mac 10.5.  I have used both Mattias Ellert's pre-built
> binaries for mac, as well as building the sane package myself.
>
> This is from sane-find-scanner.
>        found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon Inc.], product=0x26a3
> [MF4100]) at libusb:003:004-04a9-26a3-00-00
>
> And scanimage -L reports
>        device `pixma:04A926A3_SDF7Z0155773B' is a CANON Canon imageCLASS
> MF4150 multi-function peripheral
>
> When I attempt to execute scanimage -T, it tries to read the first
> scanline and freezes.
>
> Now udev is definitely NOT running on my machine.  the GREP output is
> misleading, because it shows my GREP process looking for the term
> udev.  If I export the output of ps -A to a file, udev does not exist.
>
> But as I said, there IS a /usr/local/etc/udev/rules.d/libsane.rules
> that exists and it has the proper listing for the 4150.  I had to
> manually move the .rules file as it was created in my build but didn't
> transfer to /usr/local/etc/udev/rules.d/ that did already exist.
>
> So my question is, When/how does udev get created?  Should it be
> created by the build?  Might I have used the wrong parameters in the
> configure command?
> I used  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc

udev is a linux-only device manager thing. it is only used by sane to
set permissions on devices so that non-root users can scan. therefore,
all users that have difficulty scanning should try as root user first.
if root cannot scan, permissions (and hence, udev) are likely NOT the
problem.

i see no evidence that this backend supports this scanner, other than
similarity of name to other, supported models. It might require only a
minor tweak to a config file, or it might take a completely new
backend, depending on how similar it is to existing models.

allan