[sane-devel] SANE 1.0.19 does not find CX3900, 1.0.18 works but...

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Aug 21 23:55:19 UTC 2008

Kanito 73 <kanito73 at hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi again
>
> I reinstalled many times backend 1.0.19, frontend 1.0.14 and xsane
> 0.995 but was unable to make it work with my Epson CX3900... Just to
> try removed latest version and installed the previous backend 1.0.18
> and xsane 0.994 and now it recognizes the scanner and works fine,
> but now I have another problem, can't scan as normal user since the
> device is "not found", as root it works...
>
> I spent all day reading documentation, faqs, troubleshootings,
> forums, etc. and am almost sure the installation and setup is
> correct...
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules
> # Epson DX 4000
> SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="082f", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
>
> /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf
> ---------------------------------------
[snip]
> usb
> usb 0x04b8 0x082f
>
> /etc/group
> -------------
> scanner:x:93:install,testuser
> // install is not a system related user, just created it to test the programs, testuser too
>

> Well, as I said the problem is that can't use the scanner as normal
> user, the rule entry in the udev configuration seems not to work,
> when the scanner is plugged the created device at /proc/bus/usb
> (generally 001:002 or 002:002) has "root" as owner and "root" as
> group too with permission rw-r--r--!!! If I change the permission by
> hand to rw-rw-rw makes no difference scanner is still not found,
> then if I try to make 'chown root.scanner' so it appears like this:
>
> rw-rw-rw- root scanner 002

What are the permissions, owner and group on the device nodes below
/dev/usb/?

> but normal user is unable to use xsane, 'scanimage -L' works only as
> root and can't do nothing, udev entry does not work, setting
> permissions and group by hand does not work, anything allows normal
> users to access scanner...
>
> Please help me don't know what else to do!!! :(

Provide debug logs.  At a shell prompt and as a normal user, do:

  script cx3900-debug.log
  groups
  lsusb -v
  ls -lR /dev/usb
  SANE_DEBUG_DLL=127 SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=127 scanimage -L
  exit

and send the (compressed) cx3900-debug.log file.

Hope that helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                   FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/