[sane-devel] Neatreceipts Scanner

Understudy list at understudy.net
Fri Aug 22 15:16:16 UTC 2008

Gerard Klaver wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 07:20 -0400, Understudy wrote:
>
>> Gerard Klaver wrote:

>>> Did you read the Readme file for BSD?, something IIRC with permissions
>>> also for group scanner?
>>>
>> Which Readme file? The one for sane-backends, sane-frontends, or
>> xsane, or a different one?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Brendhan
>>

> sane-backends README.freebsd

Cool thank you.
I am reading the README.freebsd file. I believe this is the part that
pertains to me.
USB-scanners:
-------------
USB-Scanners are supported by FreeBSD. The USB scanner driver "uscanner"
and
access over libusb can be used.

For some backends (e.g. gt68xx) you MUST use libusb. The uscanner driver
won't
work because it doesn't support control messages or interrupt endpoints.

If you want to use libusb, your scanner should *not* be claimed by the
uscanner
driver. Make sure, that /dev/ugen* and /dev/usb* devices are available. Use
/dev/MAKEDEV to create them, if necessary. Make sure that the user has
write
access to the appropriate device files.

Now my quick question. When I plug in the Neatreceipts scanner it
creates /dev/ugen0.
Should I unplug the scanner and use /dev/MAKEDEV to create one that has
the appropriate permissions? Or should I let it create it when I plug it
in and then change the permissions?

Sincerely,
Brendhan