[sane-devel] Device Enemuratuion fails Please help

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 14:32:39 UTC 2008

SANE 1.0.19 was the first version to include hp3990 backend. Fedora 8
shipped 1.0.18. I recommend a SANE upgrade. Forget the hp 3900 site,
or any other random docs you might have read, and do the following as
root:

rpm --nodeps -e sane-backends
rpm --nodeps -e sane-backends-libs

yum -y install libusb-devel

download the sane 1.0.19 tarball from www.sane-project.org

extract the tarball, and cd into it

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --disable-locking
make
make install

scanimage -L

If there are any errors along the way, you should investigate why. A
smart sysadmin would also investigate every one of these commands, and
probably do the configure and first make as someone other than root,
since you cannot be sure I am a nice guy :)

allan