[sane-devel] HP 4600 vs. Mustek_usb2

Igor G Novikov septagramm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 18:38:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 22:50 -0500, Triften Chmil wrote:
> The output of sane-find-scanner -v -v on
> http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/hp-scanjet-4600.html says that
> it may contain an SQ113 chip, which is the same as in the Mustek_usb2
> supported scanners, so I've started comparing the logs and playback
> I've got to the commands used by Mustek_usb2. Things are lining up
> well so far (at least the basic functions like openchip, closechip and
> the register reading).
>
> Has anyone gone and tested scanning using the mustek2 backend as is?
> If not, how can I go about forcing the use of a backend on an
> unsupported scanner? It seems like other backends have config files to
> change the vendor and product IDs of support scanners, but the man
> page mustek_usb2 doesn't mention this.
>
> Thanks,
> Triften

                            Hello, Triften!

A little while ago I encountered the same problem with mustek_usb2
backend. My scanner is Mustek BearPaw 2448CU Pro, but backend currently
only supports 2448TA Pro. I can't say for sure, but probably this
backend was written in a bit of a hurry, and it's unfinished, since it
only works with one scanner and doesn't support adding new scanners via
config files.

Just as Allan pointed out, the only way to add your scanner backend is
inside sources. About a month ago Jack McGill from this mailing list
offered me help with doing so. Here I quote his letter:

> Hello Igor,
> Take a look at these pages:
> http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/mustek-bearpaw-2448-cu-pro.html
> and http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/mustek_usb2-backend/
>
> It looks like this page could possibly be added to the mustek_usb2
> backend. This backend supports the BearPaw 2448 TA Pro, which is
> reported to be similar to the 2448 CU Pro.
>
> Browsing through the backend source code, it looks like in the file
> mustek_usb2_asic.c at about line 3521, there are entries for the
> product
> ID and Vendor ID's. and in the file mustek_usb2.c, line 124 there are
> some settings for the scanner.
>
> So, you might want to try changing line 146 of mustek_usb2.c from
> SANE_FALSE to SANE_TRUE (is this a CIS scanner?) and change line 3521
> of
> mustek_usb2_asic.c from 0x0409 to 0x0408 and ./configure, make, make
> install at the command line.
>
> I have to warn you that I am not a programmer and I am new to SANE, so
> don't blame me if it doesn't work ;-).
> --
> Jack McGill <jmcgill85258 at yahoo.com>

Of course, you have to put your scanner's vendor and product id there,
not mine. Remember, you need to remove your current sane and especially
its backends from system, then recompile and reinstall from sources.
Beware though, that when you finally get your scanner detected, it
doesn't yet guarantee that it will work as expected. Surely, try it, but
keep your hand on scanner plug just in case you hear something unusual.

You may try looking up our old discussion "Can't seem to find config
files" in archives, it's not very long. Maybe you'll find something
useful there too.

Myself? Well, my scanner is now identified, but when I try to scan
anything, output is pretty insane, also scanner sometimes starts bashing
it's head against the wall ;) So more work will be necessary to get it
up and running. When I'm done with my stuff right now, probably I'll get
to it, I really hope there'll be some time. For now I'm just reading
mailing list with hope of some news on my scanner.

So, good luck with your HP ScanJet 4600! If you'll ever have any
questions, feel free to ask.
                                                                     --
                                   Igor G Novikov <septagramm at gmail.com>