[sane-devel] iscan questions Novell bugzilla #459215

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Dec 15 23:32:07 UTC 2008

Russ Fineman <russbucket at nwi.net> writes:

>> You don't mention the iscan version you use, but I am assuming you are
>> using a self-built version of 2.12.0 or later.  The following is based
>> on that assumption.
> No 2,12 is 2.10 as below. I can download 2.12 and compile it. See if that
> corrects problem.

Please download iscan-2.14.0-3.tar.gz.  Select any of the models
listed at

  http://avasys.jp/hp/page000001300/hpg000001239.htm

to get to a page that lets you download that version.

>> > [snip]
>> > The problem appears to be Iscan looking for libpng0.so shared object
>> > file: error message: terminate called after throwing an instance of
>> > 'std::runtime_error'
>> >   what():  libpng.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
>> > directory
>> >
>> > there are two references to libpng.so:
>> >   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2008-11-13 10:18 /usr/lib64/libpng.so ->
>> > libpng12.so
>> >
>> >  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 21522 2008-10-07 08:13
>> > /usr/lib64/compiz/libpng.so
>> >
>> > Not sure if this is a SUSE problem or Iscan. Should the libpng.so link to
>> > libpng12.so?
>>
>> It's a problem with both really.  You can work around this by running
>> iscan from the command-line as follows:
>>
>>   LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64 iscan
> using this command starts iscan, selecting scan to printer still shows
> .png and .tiff greyed out. cliclking scan gives following error:
>
>   finemanruss at linux-f836:/usr/lib64> ltdl_library_path=/usr/lib64 iscan
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
>   what():  /usr/lib64/libpng12.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
> Aborted

So it seems that you are running a 32-bit version of the package.  In
that case I suspect that you do not have the 32-bit versions of the
PNG (and JPEG) libraries installed.  You should have libpng-32bit or
some similarly named package installed.  Same for JPEG.

> I just reported to Novell bugzilla (459215).

Thanks, but I think that your report will be somewhat confusing.  For
one thing, it's not clear what version of whose package you are using.

> Also tried to enter it on
> https://www.avasys.jp/secure/english/linux_e/support_form.html but I
> get a list of apache and java errors. says cannot contact server. Do
> I need to log on some where to report this?

You shouldn't have to log on to report anything.  Just confirmed your
observation.  I get the same myself.  I'll forward that to our support
people.

Thanks,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962