[sane-devel] umax1220u: sane_start: Invalid argument

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Dec 17 20:35:01 UTC 2008

I'm just trying to start using SANE.  I'm puzzled by the error message
I get:

    # scanimage --version
    scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.19; backend version 1.0.19
    # scanimage -L
    device `umax1220u:libusb:004:002' is a UMAX Astra 2100U flatbed scanner
    # scanimage -d umax1220u:libusb:004:002 > outfile.pnm
==> scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument

Background information:

- I get the same result on Fedora 10 x86-64 and on Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64.
  (The log above is from Fedora/)

- The FAQ has an entry on this message but it doesn't seem to help in
  this case.

- An strace on the Fedora system shows that the device is opened.
  Just before the failure, scanimage does a bunch of USBDEVFS_CONTROL
  ioctls on the device's file descriptor.

Any suggestions?

(I was about to get rid of the scanner because we switched from
MS Windows years ago.  Then I discovered that SANE now supports this
model.  Great!  Thanks!)