[sane-devel] help with improving text scans

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 15:40:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Jeffrey Ratcliffe
<jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/20 m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com>:
>> I can't speak for Jeremy, but there is the general bug that gscan2pdf
>> only shows options that it knows, which hides alot of nice
>> compression, or image processing, or imprinter options provided by
>> office scanners.
>
> Nobody has ever reported this "general bug" to me. I have implemented
> any requests for specific options I have received.

And that is the problem: a user that only uses gscan2pdf won't know
the other options are there, and so won't report them missing.

> Having written Perl bindings for SANE, I will be able to do a more
> general interface, but please file the bug on Sourceforge or against
> the Debian package in the mean time.

Yes- your Perl bindings are most useful, hopefully you will find the
time to convert the app to use them :)

> Perhaps you have some ideas on what to do for those scanners which
> offer so many options that the option dialog window is so tall that it
> must be scrolled - maybe some way of showing/hiding certain options
> that you don't use.

Hopefully the backend will breakup the options into reasonable sized
chunks with SANE_TYPE_GROUP options, and you could add a tab for each
group. Also, some options will have SANE_CAP_ADVANCED set, and you can
hide those until a user requests to see adv options.

allan