[sane-devel] SANE protocol over USB as new USB scanner device class?

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Sun Dec 28 09:23:14 UTC 2008

Paul Wise <pabs3 at bonedaddy.net> wrote:

Hi,

> The way to do this would be to define some USB protocol and have it
> standardised by the USB Implementers Forum, then use that to influence
> the OEM scanner manufacturers to implement it on new scanners.

There actually was a scanner/imaging device standard class defined for
USB, and it never went anywhere.

> I would propose that the SANE network protocol be ported to USB (so that

You'd better start from scratch and design a real protocol that
doesn't have all the suckiness and limitations the current SANE
network protocol has.

In no particular order: this protocol is too tightly tied to the SANE
API (which has a whole lot of limitations itself and will get
overhauled at some point), it's synchronous, doing proper marshalling
on the data exchanged is impossible, it uses control + data
connections, ...

Not a good thing to start from, trust me.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169