[sane-devel] SANE protocol over USB as new USB scannerdevice class?

David Poole dpoole at marvell.com
Mon Dec 29 00:20:58 UTC 2008

> Sounds like you would be the kind of manufacturer to publish protocol
> specs, do you plan to do that, or have you done so?

Me, personally, I'd love to be able to do that.  I've talked with my managers and no go.  As a previous poster mentioned, our business types consider our own protocol a "strategic advantage".

I've been given permission to help SANE but I must have anything I do reviewed by management first.

> This precedent and pressure from HP/Canon etc might then be used to get
> other scanner OEMs to do similar and or employ developers to work on the
> SANE project, adding drivers before their scanners are released.

We're a very tiny part of the market. We don't have any products labeled as our own. We co-develop low cost mono laser MFPs with HP. The HP LaserJet M1005 (vid=0x3b17) and M1120 (vid=0x5617 and vid=0x5717) are ours. There's another one (vid=0x5817) but I can't remember the official product name (ADF + Fax).