[sane-devel] SANE protocol over USB as new USB scannerdevice class?

Paul Wise pabs3 at bonedaddy.net
Mon Dec 29 00:40:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 16:20 -0800, David Poole wrote:
> > Sounds like you would be the kind of manufacturer to publish
> > protocol specs, do you plan to do that, or have you done so?
>
> Me, personally, I'd love to be able to do that.  I've talked with my
> managers and no go.  As a previous poster mentioned, our business
> types consider our own protocol a "strategic advantage".

:/

> I've been given permission to help SANE but I must have anything I do
> reviewed by management first.

I guess that is much better than the situation with other scanners,
thanks for that.

> > This precedent and pressure from HP/Canon etc might then be used to
> > get other scanner OEMs to do similar and or employ developers to
> > work on the SANE project, adding drivers before their scanners are
> > released.
>
> We're a very tiny part of the market. We don't have any products
> labeled as our own. We co-develop low cost mono laser MFPs with HP.
> The HP LaserJet M1005 (vid=0x3b17) and M1120 (vid=0x5617 and
> vid=0x5717) are ours. There's another one (vid=0x5817) but I can't
> remember the official product name (ADF + Fax).

I actually discussed this USB scanner class idea with Bdale Garbee (HP
OSS & Linux CTO) on the bus back from DebConf.

Are there any other SANE scanner OEMs? (pun intended)

PS: thanks a lot for the information you've provided.

--
bye,
pabs

http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/