[sane-devel] HP officejet: access scanner over the network

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Tue Dec 30 13:45:13 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I am the happy owner of an HP Officejet Pro L7560 (an all-in-one
device).

Until recently I had this connected to my server through USB, and
printing and scanning all worked fine. Of course using sane on the
server to access the scanner from the workstations.

Now I have a new office, all is rearranged, and the Officejet is
connected directly to the network. It gets it's IP from the server by
DHCP, which I configured to be fixed, so far so good. Printing (though
Cups) works like a charm after some googling to get the correct way to
address the printer, but now scanning! How can I do this? A couple of
hours searching Google didn't give me a single clue... the scanner is
not found automatically by Sane, and no idea on how to address it.

I'm looking for one of two solutions:
1) server is talking to the scanner one way or another, and then shares
the scanner with the workstations through the existing Sane interface.
2) the workstations (three only, it's a small network) talk to the
scanner directly (they are all on the same 192.168.2.0/24 subnet) (if
easy/automatically to configure on the workstations).

Wouter.