[sane-devel] A very fast scanner supported by SANE (maybe Epson GT2500?)

Wolfram Heider wolframheider at web.de
Tue Feb 5 15:04:55 UTC 2008

Alex,

I have a GT-2500 here on my desk. It's a pretty solid office machine
working reliably with the iscan and the xsane frontend. However, speed is
slow with the default settings so one has to make sure that the speed
button is activated.
Some features like the ADF-duplex scanning aren't working with the
graphical frontends but just from the commandline (scanadf).

As to the scanning speed: 27 PPM seems to me to be the usual advertisement
ballyhoo, anyway the GT-2500 makes in b/w scanning with 300 dpi a page in
roughly 4 seconds giving 15 PPM.

However the GT-2500 comes with an ADF-unit, and if you don't need it you
would have to pay for something useless. Although the GT-2500 is quite
inexpensive compared to other machines of its class and quality its price
is clearly beyond the normal customer's budget (and the ADF-unit makes
pretty a portion of it). So you may look for a pure flatbed scanner, Epson
scanners are in any case a good choice if speed is the criterion.

Best regards
Wolfram Heider