[sane-devel] Fix 45-libsane.rules to support Epson V100

Stephane Blondon stephane.blondon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 18:05:47 UTC 2008

I have got a scanner Epson Perfection Photo V100 (which need the
proprietary driver Epowka). I have installed it and it works only with
root: xsane don't find the scanner when launched with the classical
users accounts (tested with two).

I have found that the scanner is not included in
/etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules.
I have added it and now it works well. A 'diff -u' of the change is
joined to this mail.
Note that I only do a reference to the 'Epson Perfection V100' in the
diff. It seems that the V10 is globally equivalent (due to same driver
and the answer of scanimage) but I don't know if they have the same
Product ID.

If you have questions or comments, please cc me because I have not
subscribed to the ml.

Stephane.

PS:
Some infos you could find useful:
System : Linux on x86 (32bit)
Distro : Ubuntu 7.10
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.18-cvs; backend version 1.0.18

The first lines of 45-libsane.rules say:
# This file was automatically created based on description files (*.desc)
#by sane-desc 3.2 from sane-backends 1.0.18-cvs on Fri Oct  5 15:26:21 2007

Extract of terminal (epowka installed but without modification in
45-libsane.rules :
/*
* as root:
*/
# scanimage -L
device `epkowa:libusb:003:004' is a Epson Perfection V10/V100 flatbed scanner
/*
*as user:
*/
$ sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x012d) at libusb:003:004
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.
$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 04b8:012d Seiko Epson Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

$ scanimage -L

/*
* I modify the file and restart the scanner:
*/

$ scanimage -L
device `epkowa:libusb:003:008' is a Epson Perfection V10/V100 flatbed scanner

/*
*      \o/ yoohooo!
*/