[sane-devel] scanimage -L crashes with HP ScanJet 4100c

Peter Kirchgessner peter at kirchgessner.net
Sun Feb 10 10:34:48 UTC 2008

Bill,

I just tried the ScanJet 4100 C with an OpenSuse 10.3 on a 64 Bit
machine without problems. On Suse 10.1 32 Bit the scanner was not
detected by the USB-layer because of error messages like

Feb 10 11:08:26 capella kernel: usb 1-9: new full speed USB device using
ohci_hcd and address 14
Feb 10 11:08:27 capella kernel: usb 1-9: device not accepting address
14, error -62

in /var/log/messages. I needed to unplug the scanner from the power
supply and connect the power supply and USB again to get around that.
After this I could only access the scanner as root. Otherwise libusb
could not open the device because of permission problems.

Can you please create a hp.log from a use of xsane that failed:

SANE_DEBUG_HP=255 xsane > hp.log 2>&1

and send it back to me ? After xsane failed, please have a look at
/var/log/messages if you can find some error message which might be
related to the failure.

BTW: /dev/scanner is not needed for USB. libusb is used to search a
device on the USB that matches the description "usb 0x03f0 0x0101" which
is defined in /etc/sane.d/hp.conf and represents the HP ScanJet 4100 C.

--Peter

--
Peter Kirchgessner
http://www.kirchgessner.net