[sane-devel] Epson 4490 support ?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Feb 12 23:35:47 UTC 2008

Andrew <andrew2006 at flight.us> writes:

> The Epson 4490 is not listed on http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON

Check

  http://sane.alioth.debian.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html#S-EPKOWA

instead.  It is supported, but on i386 machines only as it requires a
non-free plugin.

> Surfing around i see people have asked about support, there are
> cases where it does NOT work with out-of-the-box distribs/kooka, but
> i am not seeing definitive answers of whether it does or doesn't

Last time I looked at kooka was during a debugging session trying to
find out why it insisted on blowing up regardless of what you did.
Hope things have changed for the better since then.

> Does anyone here know if this model is supported?

Yes, provided you use it on an i386 machine and don't mind using
non-free software.  Packages are available at:

  http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html

You most likely want the packages for gcc-3.4 or later.

If you need Debian packages, use:

  alien --scripts --keep-version <rpm-package>

for the smoothest ride.

If you are using a distribution that's not officially supported by my
employer you may need to straighten out a kink or two, but in general
our iscan packages work quite well across multiple distributions.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen             FLOSS Engineer -- EPSON AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/