[sane-devel] HP ScanJet 5590 issues

Paul C. Bryan email at pbryan.net
Thu Feb 14 21:26:54 UTC 2008

Hi Ilia:

Thanks for your work so far on the hp5590 backend.

I am the owner of an HP ScanJet 5590, and have been experimenting with
scanning in flatbed, simplex and duplex ADF mode using your backend.
I've encountered some issues, and wonder if you've heard of these
problems. I am using the SANE "scanimage" command in all cases.

1. "Overscanning" pages (simplex/duplex ADF)

If the ADF-scanned page is smaller than the geometry set in the -y
parameter value, content from the following page is included on the
page is actually physically stopping, and is simply continuing onto the
more pages to feed from the ADF), the remaining "expected" page area is
filled with a quasi-crosshatch pattern).

2. Duplex pages mirrored and upside-down pages (duplex ADF)

The backs of pages are being scanned mirrored and upside-down. I have
managed to automate a solution to this in a script (attached), which
seems to work.

3. Color picture scans are streaked (flatbed)

High-contrast areas in the tops of photos seem to streak down below into
the rest of scanned photos, causing significant degradation of image
quality. This kind of streaking does not seem to occur with lineart
scans.

I'd be happy to help further diagnose and correct these issues so that
the backend can be enjoyed by myself and others.

Thanks,

Paul