[sane-devel] command for stupid people?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Feb 26 23:36:59 UTC 2008

Oliver Schwartz <Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I assume you are using the snapscan backend. In this case:
>
>> My Epson 3490 works just fine if the firm ware is loaded from a
>> Windows
>> box first. I also have located the binary that needs to be loaded.
>>
>> Is there a bash command I can run to manually load the binary file
>> into
>> the scanner?
>>
>> Would something like:
>>
>> echo esfw52.bin > some device
>>
>> Work?
>
> No. You need to edit snapscan.conf (either in /etc/sane.d or /usr/
> local/etc/sane.d, depending on you setup and add the fully qualified
> filename of esfw52.bin to the "firmware" line, e.g.
>
> firmware=/var/lib/sane/esfw52.bin

And if that sounds too scary and you are running a i386 system, you
could also use the iscan RPMs available via:

  http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen             FLOSS Engineer -- EPSON AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/