[sane-devel] [RFC] how to enable 1.1 features

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Fri Feb 29 01:34:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:11:37 -0500
"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >   Even if their desire is to keep the thing as is, it is
> >   very much important to say it.
>
> That is not quite a fair characterization- linux does NOT change its
> userspace ABI in every release, no one would use it! Yes, the kernel
> module API changes all the time, but linux contains both the kernel
> AND the modules. we dont have the luxury of shipping all the frontends
> and backends in one package.

 I'm not changing it in an incompatible way, just extending
 it a bit. The are a lot of modules that are external of the
 kernel and they don't have to change every time.

> the current sane2 draft standard is overly complex (particularly in
> frame handling) and has not been touched in years. I would not
> implement it without a complete re-examination of it. But, if we call
> it the sane3 draft, and implement something very, very small as sane2,
> then we will get your desired effect of frequent advancements, and
> protect the frontend authors and users from a mess, by using a
> soversion bump.
>
> so what if sane will have a new soversion once a year? lots of other
> libs do worse...

 I don't care about the name.. being 1.1 or 2.0-pre or something
 else. But I do care about keeping the same soname unless the
 interface is changed in a non compatible way.

 The changes I want to implement do not justify a new soname
 and protection is achieved by checking api level.

 So, I repeat, those are my targets and where I'm heading to.
 If those targets are shared I will commit my patch.

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,
  Tower Technologies - Torino, Italy