[sane-devel] Linoscan 1200 on Linux

Ben F-W sane at flemingwilliams.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 22:50:08 UTC 2008

Hello all! I'd like some advice on whether this scanner is usable under
Linux.

My sister brought the Heidelberg AG Linoscan 1200 back when her work
chucked it out, and I thought I'd try and get it running under Linux
(Ubuntu 7.10). It connects via USB, and lsusb gives:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0a18:1030 Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG

However, xsane claims there are no devices available, and Google search
hasn't turned up any evidence it works with sane. The only relevant
links I can find are
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2007-May/019180.html,
where a user offered the scanner on this list for testing, and
www.silverfast.com/forum/possible-mac-os-x-solution-for-linotype-scanners-t1265.html,

where someone explains that the "LinoScan 1200 is a special problem
under OS-X which is related to the USB communication chip". Don't know
if that's relevant here or not.

Can the Linoscan 1200 be used, or should I be looking for an
alternative? I've exhausted my few hardware-investigating abilities, but
would be happy to try suggestions.

Thank you in advance,

Ben