[sane-devel] artec e+pro- vertical lines- some samples

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 00:34:45 UTC 2008

On 1/13/08, kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
<kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, m. allan noah wrote:
>
> > On 1/12/08, kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu wrote:
> >> What I see in these images is, something like what I suspected could be a
> >> possibility, or it could be something else.
> >
> > well, that about covers all the possibilites :)
> >

> Yep. We should never neglect to do that, because the problem will always
> be coming from the one we neglected. :)
>
> >> It is difficult to tell
> >> without the actual raw data. I assume (without actually knowing) that
> >> there is a SANE option to capture the raw data and dump to a file, with no
> >> processing at all.
> >
> > You very well might BE looking at the raw data.
>
> Ah, so.
>
> Since scanners use a
> > 1-D instead of a 2-D array, they dont have any need to conserve
> > internal storage space, and their cpu's are generally quite slow, they
> > dont typically use much compression.
>
> Perhaps I should change my line of work then. Compression is the big
> bugbear for camera support. It can take months or years to figure out,
> sometimes, and assuredly the manufacturers of the chips do not cooperate,
> either. If it is very unusual that you have to deal with this, then you
> people are lucky.

ahh- but we have many more parameters, transparency units,
filmadapters, sheet feeders, motor slope tables, and calibration, all
of which must often be reverse engineered, taking months or years to
figure out.

{snip}

> One of the amazing things, too, is that the vertical lines in the images
> were not visible in hexdumps of the images. Or, perhaps I did not try hard
> enough by doing something like actually rearranging the resulting hexdumps
> according to rows and columns as they were in the original. One would
> think that results which are so dramatic in an image ought to be visible
> in the data readings.

the human eye is very sensitive to these sorts of changes. (look at
the jpeg compression algo...) it could have been a very slight
difference.

> > As a consequence of their low cost/power, many machines cannot
> > self-calibrate.
>
> OK, so we are working with a one-dimensional scanner reader and not with a
> lens which takes an image of a large area. Not only this, but also the way
> this _could_ work is that there is a bar across the scanner, which gets
> moved "vertically" from one row to the next, and on the bar there is a
> sliding sensor, which takes a sample at each column location across the
> image, and the sample is of R and G and B all at the same time and same
> location.

no, i said 1-D, not a point. they are always a linear array, with
thousands of cells, often in little groups, and the break between the
groups is often shaded differently.

> Just out of intellectual curiosity, precisely what would be
> involved in this "calibration" that you are mentioning? Am I thinking
> correctly now, and the problem with this scanner is that the horizontal
> "jump" from one pixel to the next is not set correctly and thus needs to
> be adjusted?

no, depending on the scanner type, you have offset and gain params for
the analog front-end chip, then additional offset and gain on a
per-cell (or even per-cell-per-channel) basis, plus you might have
lamp timing and exposure settings too, and who knows what else.

these are usually determined by doing a scan of some hidden white
stripe inside the machine, lamp on and off, or separate white and
black stripes, or, or, or...

dont quit your day job. :)

allan