[sane-devel] HP 8270 scanjet support

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 22:09:20 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 4:36 PM,  <olin.sane.7ia at shivers.mail0.org> wrote:
> I append the results of my sane-find-scanner run. It does find a scanner, reporting
>     found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x3905) at libusb:001:016
>
> Similarly, lsusb says:
>     Bus 001 Device 016: ID 03f0:3905 Hewlett-Packard
>
> I searched the sane web page of product listings for the string "3905",
> but no hits.

it does not immediately hit any of our known chipset tests. that does
not mean much however, as we cant test for everything. the next steps
are to open the scanner and get some chip info, or perhaps better to
take a trace using benoit's usbsnoop on windows, and post that on the
web somewhere. perhaps someone here will recognize the protocol.

> I browsed through the sane listings last night. My scanner criteria are:
> - flatbed
> - automatic document feeder, duplex, >= 50 pages
> - costs under 1k$
>
> I discovered that
> - There are many scanners on the market of this form. Here's an example:
>   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838104036
>
> - Sane doesn't typically support current models. For example, every such
>   model that is sold at Newegg isn't supported by sane.
>   This includes the current offerings of HP, Canon, Fujitsu & Xerox.

there is only 1 fujitsu matching those specs (fi-5015), and it is
probably an Avision OEM machine, so Rene might be able to support it.

> - The models that sane *does* support are typically models that are no longer
>   sold (e.g., if you check on Amazon).

we usually do not remove support for no-longer sold models.

> The one exception seems to be an Epson scanner, of somewhat lower resolution.
> Sane seems to be one generation behind, across the board, in this niche.
> Am I missing something?

yes- you are missing that SANE is not generally a commercial
enterprise, but rather a loose group of volunteers writing drivers for
scanners in their spare time, usually with no help from the
manufacturers. If you wish to use a scanner under SANE, it is best
that you check for support BEFORE you buy, or be prepared to dig into
a potentially lengthy reverse engineering process. It is also best
that you put your money where you mouth is, and buy the machine not
only because of it's specs or price, but also because of the level of
support that the manufacturer gives to the community.

to that end, i would personally buy a refurbished Fujitsu fi-5220C,
($1009 at pcnation.com). Fujitsu has been reasonable about providing
documentation to me, and has kept the protocol of their larger
machines pretty much the same for years. Something similar can be said
for Epson, though they seem to have more new machines with an unknown
protocol as of late. HP particularly is quite bad about changing
protocol with every single model.

allan