[sane-devel] HP 8270 scanjet support

jazz_johnson at verizon.net jazz_johnson at verizon.net
Fri Jan 25 22:59:15 UTC 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008, m. allan noah wrote:

> > I browsed through the sane listings last night. My scanner criteria are:
> > - flatbed
> > - automatic document feeder, duplex, >= 50 pages
> > - costs under 1k$
> >
> > I discovered that
> > - There are many scanners on the market of this form. Here's an example:
> >   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838104036
> >
> > - Sane doesn't typically support current models. For example, every such
> >   model that is sold at Newegg isn't supported by sane.
> >   This includes the current offerings of HP, Canon, Fujitsu & Xerox.
>
> there is only 1 fujitsu matching those specs (fi-5015), and it is
> probably an Avision OEM machine, so Rene might be able to support it.
>
> > - The models that sane *does* support are typically models that are no
> > longer sold (e.g., if you check on Amazon).
>
> we usually do not remove support for no-longer sold models.
>
> > The one exception seems to be an Epson scanner, of somewhat lower
> > resolution. Sane seems to be one generation behind, across the board, in
> > this niche. Am I missing something?
>
> yes- you are missing that SANE is not generally a commercial
> enterprise, but rather a loose group of volunteers writing drivers for
> scanners in their spare time, usually with no help from the
> manufacturers. If you wish to use a scanner under SANE, it is best
> that you check for support BEFORE you buy, or be prepared to dig into
> a potentially lengthy reverse engineering process. It is also best
> that you put your money where you mouth is, and buy the machine not
> only because of it's specs or price, but also because of the level of
> support that the manufacturer gives to the community.
>
> to that end, i would personally buy a refurbished Fujitsu fi-5220C,

I think I'll keep that model in mind when I need to upgrade my SP15C, a
refurbished model which I purhased from a scanning solutions vendor for
~$600, but which I could now buy on eBay for ~$100. The Fujitsu site
recommends the fi-5220C as the replacement for the discontinued SP15C.

I bought an old Ricoh IS450DE off eBay for $275 + $25 S/H + $100 platen cover.
It's an old scsi-II interface and only 8-bit B/W -- but it's rugged and fine
for scanning text, and although now discontinued, Ricoh says it will continue
supplying parts for another 6 years.