[sane-devel] SANE in LSB 4.0

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 14:50:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

we plan to include the SANE API into LSB 4.0, to make it easier for
hardware vendors to write scanner drivers and make them available as
distribution-independent packages or in case of multi-function devices
to make distribution-independent driver packages for both printer and
scanner part. See

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/ProjectPlan40#LSB-Printing_Module
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/SANE40

The standardization will be based on the SANE1 API, as SANE2 is not
started yet and even if it would have been defined it would take some
years to have it in all enterprise distributions (mainly SLES and RHEL,
on which the LSB is based). So even with SANE2 in the plans it would be
a great step forward tohave SANE1 in the LSB.

I want to ask you as upstream developers of SANE whether you could help
us on integrating SANE in the LSB by contributing work on the
documentation and testing framework. We would appreciate if you could
help us.

    Till