[sane-devel] SANE in LSB 4.0

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 15:30:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Till Kamppeter
<till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we plan to include the SANE API into LSB 4.0, to make it easier for
> hardware vendors to write scanner drivers and make them available as
> distribution-independent packages or in case of multi-function devices
> to make distribution-independent driver packages for both printer and
> scanner part. See
>
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/ProjectPlan40#LSB-Printing_Module
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/SANE40

this seems reasonable, with two caveats:
1. i personally have no interest in helping hardware vendors create
proprietary drivers.
2. we need to reserve the right to update our api, in possibly
incompatible ways.

> The standardization will be based on the SANE1 API, as SANE2 is not
> started yet and even if it would have been defined it would take some
> years to have it in all enterprise distributions (mainly SLES and RHEL,
> on which the LSB is based). So even with SANE2 in the plans it would be
> a great step forward tohave SANE1 in the LSB.

SANE 1.1.0 should be released in the next couple months. it includes a
few small changes to the api, mostly in return codes and image type
handling. no function calls were added or changed. The docs on our
website have not yet been updated to handle this. volunteers? :)

> I want to ask you as upstream developers of SANE whether you could help
> us on integrating SANE in the LSB by contributing work on the
> documentation and testing framework. We would appreciate if you could
> help us.

please describe what this help entails.

allan