[sane-devel] XSane not showing full list of resolutions for Epson V500

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Jul 9 00:30:54 UTC 2008

Brett <cda-kfmg at kaspop.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 09:18:57AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> > The advanced options show a full range of dpi for X but setting this
>> > has no effect.
>>
>> What option would that be?  The epkowa backend doesn't do resolution
>> ranges for this model, only lists.  Or do you mean a full list?
>
> Sorry, I mean a full list. The option is Scan Mode>>X-resolution[dpi]
> It shows a list of values going up to 6400.

That looks correct.

>> > Any suggestions would be most welcome.
>>
>> Create debugging output with both iscan and xsane and compare.  You
>> can also send me the debugging output (via this list) for xsane so I
>> can take a look.  If you do, please also provide information on your
>> distribution and xsane and iscan versions used.
>
> I don't use a distribution - I have a Linux from Scratch system (gcc-4.2,
> binutils-2.8, glibc-2.7)
> xsane version: 0.995
> iscan version: 2.11.0

OK, so you're probably comfortable with building stuff from source.

>> You probably just want to start the application(s) and maybe change
>> the document source (flatbed to ADF for example) or expose that
>> advanced option you mention.  You do not need to scan anything.
>
> Have done this and attached the zipped debug log.
>
> Hope you're able to help. Thanks for your time.

There's nothing wrong in the logs.

The bug is caused by an infelicity in the saneopts.h header file.  The
SANE_NAME_SCAN_RESOLUTION and SANE_NAME_SCAN_X_RESOLUTION are exactly
the same.  With Image Scan! I redefine the latter to "x-resolution" so
things work as expected.

If you really need xsane, you can fix this by recompiling with a fixed
saneopts.h and I guess I should get that file fixed upstream ;-)

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                   FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/