[sane-devel] Epson cx3700 not recognized after upgrade to 1.0.19 (repost)

Tom throw_away_2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 10:37:59 UTC 2008

I didn't receive any replies to this, so I will try again.

Everything worked absolutely flawlessly under 1.0.18.

After the upgrade, which according to the ChangeLog added this
device (usb 0x4b8 0x818) to backend/epson_usb.c (which I thought
would make everything work better), I can't get scanimage (or any
other program for that matter) to see the device (even though
sane-find-scanner does).

If I downgrade back to 1.0.18, then everything works again.

I don't know what you need to diagnose this, but let me start
with:

# sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
  # Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
  # If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0818 [USB MFP]) at libusb:004:012
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

# scanimage -L

# sane-config --version
1.0.19

# sane-config --ldflags
-L/usr/lib  -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib

# sane-config --libs
-lsane -lusb -lpthread -lm  -ljpeg -ltiff -lieee1284  -lgphoto2 -lgphoto2_port -lexif -lm -lusb -ldl

I did notice under 1.0.18, I got these messages in /var/log/messages:

usb 4-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'scanimage' sets config #1
usb 4-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'scanimage' sets config #1

But under 1.0.19, I get this instead:

usb 4-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'scanimage' sets config #1
usb 4-2: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usbfs while 'scanimage' sets config #1

I would appreciate any help you can give me with this.

Thank you in advance.