[sane-devel] sane_cancel()

Kåre Särs kare.sars at kolumbus.fi
Tue Jul 15 23:02:36 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm a bit confused with the use of sane_cancel(). I noticed today that the
pixma backend requires a sane_cancel after each scan (libksane did not work
correctly with the pixma backend). I have read here on the list:
"5. be aware that a proper front-end in batch mode will call
sane_start() at the beginning of each page, but only call sane_cancel
after the last page returns SANE_STATUS_NO_DOCS."

Why does the frontend have to call sane_cancel() at the end of a scan?

Is this a bug in the pixma backend (libksane works OK with at least the test,
epson, epkowa and v4l backends), or is the pixma backend just more strict
than the backends I have tested with before? (The problem was that the
backend did not accept writes to any parameters after a scan without a cancel
at the end.)

I remember reading something about clarifying the use of sane_cancel() in the
standard for 1.1, but I can't remember what it was about :)

--
Kåre Särs