[sane-devel] CX6600 problem solved

Maurice McCarthy manselton at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 30 11:52:22 UTC 2008

Hi all, sorry this is such a long post.

It was a problem but I fixed it before asking for help by swapping the
usb connection back to the old USB 1.0 port  Anyhow in case you might
be interested below is what I was going to send.

I still don't understand why /proc/bus/usb is empty though.
In the end either my usb2.0 card is damaged or the PCI bus cannot
handle it (It was made before PCI-E)

Thanks for all your efforts
Maurice McCarthy
- - - - - -

I've got scanner problems with my Epson CX6600 attached to an old
Pentium II with a 200 watt power supply and I'm beginning to think
that I might have exhausted the physical capabilities of the machine.
Originally it had a 6GB disk and a CDROM. Also a USB 1.0. I now have 2
disks 80 & 40 GB, a dvdrv+- and cdrw+-, 2 ethernet cards (only one in
use so far), a USB 2.0 card (to which the CX6600 is attached).

My operating system is grml (http://grml.org) updated to Debian
unstable for many packages including the sane ones. Grml runs xinetd
and this is the appropriate entry in /etc/xinetd.conf and it looks
sound

service sane-port
{
        socket_type = stream
        protocol    = tcp
        wait        = no
        user        = saned
        group       = saned
        server      = /usr/sbin/saned
        server_args = saned
        disable     = yes
}

The problem is that the scanner hangs with the LCD reading
"Scanning..." when the scanner lamp has completed its action. This is
what I've investigated for myself before coming here:

# sane-find-scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0813 [USB2.0
MFP(Hi-Speed)]) at libusb:004:017

# scanimage -L
device `epson:libusb:004:017' is a Epson CX6600 flatbed scanner

# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 017: ID 04b8:0813 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus CX6500/6600
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04d2:ff05 Altec Lansing Technologies ADA-305 Speakers
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0605 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 Hub [ednet]
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

# scanimage >i.pnm
#

So scanimage seems to exit 0 as a success but the scanner LCD hangs
with the message "Scanning..." I think that this tells me it has not
received a terminate signal although scanimage has exited with one.
The supposed image file is not readable.

# head i.pnm
P4
# SANE data follows
848 1169
... and lots of blurb

Peculiarly the kernel process shows nothing in the usb bus - so I
don't understand how lsusb works.
# ls -l /proc/bus/usb
total 0

The only relevant message from the system log is this:
# tail /var/log/syslog
Jul 30 08:35:00 grml kernel: usb 4-4: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by
usblp while 'scanimage' sets config #1

But that is no help as this message was there when the scanner did work.

# scanimage -d epson -T
scanimage: scanning image of size 848x1169 pixels at 1 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring gray frame, 1 bits/sample
scanimage: reading one scanline, 106 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: reading one byte...          PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 2 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 4 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 8 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 16 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 32 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 64 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 128 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 127 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 63 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 31 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 15 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 7 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 3 bytes...     PASS

Freezes at this point then hitting Ctrl-c
scanimage: received signal 2
scanimage: trying to stop scanner

Freezes again then hitting Ctrl-c again
scanimage: received signal 2
scanimage: aborting
scanimage -d epson -T  6.77s user 37.02s system 49% cpu 1:28.87 total
#

# SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=10 scanimage >i.pnm
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of epson to 10.
[epson] sane_init: sane-backends 1.0.19
[epson] sane_init, ># epson.conf<
[epson] sane_init, >#<

<snip> ########### The interesting bit now starts but I don't know how
to fix it.

[epson] sane_read: begin scan1
[epson] w_cmd_count = 34
[epson] r_cmd_count = 39
[epson] receive buf, expected = 6, got = 6
[epson] sane_read: buf len = 106
[epson] sane_read: buf len (adjusted) = 26924
[epson] w_cmd_count = 34
[epson] r_cmd_count = 460
[epson] receive buf, expected = 26924, got = 26924
[epson] send buf, size = 1
[epson] w_cmd_count = 35
[epson] r_cmd_count = 460
[epson] sane_read: begin scan2
[epson] sane_read: end
[epson] sane_read: begin
[epson] sane_read: begin scan1
[epson] w_cmd_count = 35
[epson] r_cmd_count = 461
[epson] receive buf, expected = 6, got = 6
[epson] sane_read: buf len = 106
[epson] sane_read: buf len (adjusted) = 26924
[epson] w_cmd_count = 35
[epson] r_cmd_count = 549
[epson] receive buf, expected = 26924, got = 5632
[epson] send buf, size = 1
[epson] w_cmd_count = 36
[epson] r_cmd_count = 549
[epson] sane_read: begin scan2
[epson] sane_read: end
[epson] sane_read: begin
[epson] sane_read: begin scan1
[epson] w_cmd_count = 36
[epson] r_cmd_count = 549
[epson] receive buf, expected = 6, got = 0
[epson] scan_finish()
[epson] send buf, size = 2
[epson] w_cmd_count = 37
[epson] r_cmd_count = 549
[epson] send buf, size = 2
[epson] w_cmd_count = 38
[epson] r_cmd_count = 549
[epson] Extended status flag request failed
[epson] close_scanner(fd = 0)
[epson] send buf, size = 2
[epson] w_cmd_count = 39
[epson] r_cmd_count = 549
[epson] w_cmd_count = 39
[epson] r_cmd_count = 549
[epson] receive buf, expected = 4, got = 0
[epson] w_cmd_count = 39
[epson] r_cmd_count = 549
[epson] send buf, size = 2
[epson] w_cmd_count = 40
[epson] r_cmd_count = 549
[epson] send buf, size = 2
[epson] w_cmd_count = 41
[epson] r_cmd_count = 549
[epson] Extended status flag request failed
[epson] w_cmd_count = 41
[epson] r_cmd_count = 549

The command exits with the scanner still hung.