[sane-devel] help with profiles

gordonsmall User gordonsmall at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 30 18:00:54 UTC 2008

I am new to the Linux world (via Ubuntu 8.04) and like most of what I am
experiencing.  However, there is a lot to learn in the transition from
Windows XP.

I was pleased to see that Ubuntu came with Xsane preloaded and that
Xsane fully supported my Epson Perfection 2450 Scanner. However, I soon
learned that the fact that Xsane supports it does not mean it
automatically finds and loads all the associated software it needs to
properly run the scanner.

I have been posting questions to the Ubuntu mailing lists and looking
over the Xsane web site (appreciate the documentation), and discovered
that I am supposed to add something called printer and scanner ICM
profiles.  My printer is an HP 722c deskjet printer.  When I follow the
instructions on the website, I got to preferences, setup, and copy, and
then have to type in the model number of my printer.  I then try to
browse for the ICM profile and it takes me nowhere useful that I can
find.

Ubuntu easily found and mounted my peripherals, including the printer
and digital camera.  However, I am stuck on getting the scanner to work
properly. If I ignore a lot of error messages, I can get it to scan a
color image in grayscale, but that won't do the trick.  I find that I
use a scanner for a lot of what I do on a computer.  Is there any way I
can easily find the profiles Xsane seems to be asking for?

Gordon Small