[sane-devel] Visioneer 6200USB backend

Kyle Dickerson kyle.dickerson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 16:58:02 UTC 2008

Looking through the information on the viceo.orconhosting.net site, it shows
my scanner as being unsupported due to using the E5 chipset.
I did find some more information by digging through the files included with
the Windows Driver.   One of the files (Hardware.ini) looks like it contains
sections with information for 4 models: 6200, 6400, 8100, 8600.  The 8600 is
listed on that site as supported and using the E4 chipset.  There are also
released drivers for WinXP for the 8100 and 8600.  There's also a binary
file "protocol.ds", looking through it with a hex editor I didn't find any
helpful strings, but perhaps that file would be helpful to someone else?

Unfortunately the driver is only good for Win98, 98se, and 2000-- and I
don't have any of those operating systems.  It does not work with WinXP.  So
I have no way of running that actual driver, unless I can find an old
machine, or at least an install disc (I don't mind setting up a virtual
machine to try getting it to work).

m. allan noah has told me that I either need to get a windows trace and post
it. Or start with a simple libusb program and attempt to reverse engineer it
from there.

Thanks for the help,
-Kyle