[sane-devel] Please give me some help to solve the license issues in using sane

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 13:54:13 UTC 2008

On 6/6/08, Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 09:24:25 +0900
>
> Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:
>  >

> > If GPL'd code uses a non-compatible library via dlopen that's just as
>  > much a violation as linking to it directly.  The code runs in the same
>  > process space.  That makes the combined work a derivative, so, all the
>  > terms of the GPL need to be met.
>

>  I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not sure of this. I always thought
>   that using dynamic linking would allow for a proper separation
>   of GPL/non-GPL code.
>
>   That means that a GPL caller and a non-GPL library should be
>   ok, while the inverse it's not.

gpl faq is pretty clear on this one:

If the modules are included in the same executable file, they are
definitely combined in one program. If modules are designed to run
linked together in a shared address space, that almost surely means
combining them into one program.

By contrast, pipes, sockets and command-line arguments are
communication mechanisms normally used between two separate programs.
So when they are used for communication, the modules normally are
separate programs. But if the semantics of the communication are
intimate enough, exchanging complex internal data structures, that too
could be a basis to consider the two parts as combined into a larger
program.

source: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

allan