[sane-devel] USB problems - [was"no devices available"]

kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
Sat Jun 21 04:13:55 UTC 2008

Hi,

Don't know about the scanner, but I do know a bit about the internals of
libgphoto2. The problem with the scanner is most probably similar to what
appears to happen with the camera:

With approximately 99% probability, I would say that your problem with the
camera is a permissions problem. Quite likely, what has happened is that
the camera and perhaps the scanner also, is not listed in any of the
appropriate files in /etc/udev/rules.d in spite of the fact that you have
upgraded udev. Either that, or along with the upgraded udev the rules are
not what you expect. For example, the libgphoto2.rules might expect you,
as a user, to belong to a group called "camera" or some variation on the
same theme. One of the things that you might do to try to localize the
problem is to try running these devices as root. If that works, then
definitely it is a permissions problem and you need to create the right
entries in the libgphoto2.rules file and the libsane.rules files, which
are suitable for yourself, or if you do find entries in those files for
these devices (look for the USB Vendor:Product number combination) and it
wants your userid to belong to some group and it does not, then either add
yourself to the group or change the rules file to let you do what you
want. By all means, too, you can contact Ubuntu and ask them just exactly
what they have in mind about how they intend for things like this to be
done in Hardy Heron. I do not know how they are handling such things as
upgrades because I am not using Ubuntu and instead I usually deal with
things like this by hand-editing the affected files.

Sorry that there are these problems with permissions, but the alternative
is that these
problems are not under control and then we would have a Linux with all
the
lack of security that is found in Windows. Clearly, none of us want that.
But in return for the care about security comes some occasional
inconvenience, in the form of problems like this.

I hope this helps.

Theodore Kilgore