[sane-devel] How to accurately scan A4(210mmx297mm) size paper?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Fri Jun 27 09:14:43 UTC 2008

Patrick Londema <patrick at evilplatypus.net> writes:

> DIN is the German standards body that actually 'invented' the A, B and
> C paper standards in 1922, but ISO copied them. DIN A4 is thus exactly
> the same as ISO A4, DIN A3 is the same as ISO A3, etc. I do wonder why
> XSane uses DIN is the name as it might confuse a few people and
> doesn't add anything. Might be that a person from Germany made that
> bit of the interface, whenever I'm there the word DIN is still added
> on most packs of paper too, probably just be a little national pride
> at work.

To add to the paper size confusion, the Japanese standards body (JIS)
introduced JIS A, JIS B and JIS C series.  While the A and C series
are the same as the ISO ones, the B series is NOT.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                   FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/