[sane-devel] How to accurately scan A4(210mmx297mm) size paper?

Nicolas nicolas.martin at freesurf.fr
Fri Jun 27 20:33:16 UTC 2008

Keep in mind that some backend may perform adjustments on width and
height values, that are imposed by the scanner.

For instance, in the pixma backend, the count of pixels in width and
height need to be aligned to 32 bits for some models, because this is
simply imposed by the pixma protocol.

The consequence is that you cannot scan at all possible width/height
dimensions, but only at discrete width/height sizes.
The step between 2 consecutive widths is therefore conditioned by
resolution, i.e. step (in mm) = 32 x 25.4 / xdpi

At 600 dpi, this is about 1.4 mm ... but more than 1 cm at 75 dpi!

Nicolas