[sane-devel] Network scanners

rozelak at volny.cz rozelak at volny.cz
Fri Mar 14 15:33:17 UTC 2008

Hallo,

I would like to ask, how network scanners are supported. I know that
there is 'saned' daemon which can be used for network accessing the
scanner which is physically connected to computer on which 'saned' is
running, but I am asking for "standalone" scanners which can be accessed
only through network connection (so 'saned' cannot be running on them),
exactly like network printers. Is there anything similar e.g. to IPP
protocol, but for scanners? Where are problems with it?

I am interested, as we have Canon iR2200 copy/printer/scanner (huge)
machine in my work, and I would like to know if it can be accessed from
linux (or SANE in general). If there is no such posibility, it does
not matter very much, I know thay yo do great job anyway!

Thank you very much for your answer
Dan