[sane-devel] SANE backend epson2 and Epson Perfection V700 Photo

Adolf Winterer adolf.j.winterer at inn-salzach.de
Mon Mar 17 06:46:26 UTC 2008

Hello Claus,

Am Sonntag, 16. März 2008 00:00 schrieb Claus Boje:
> Lørdag den 15. Marts 2008 skrev Adolf Winterer:
> > Thank you for your answer, Alessandro.
> >
> > Am Freitag, 14. März 2008 15:17 schrieb Alessandro Zummo:

> > >  maybe some particular features of the scanner are missing. I myself
> > >  don't own one, but given that is has been listed as good on epson
> > > backend it should work well on epson2 too.
> >
> > I've not yet made up my mind. Maybe I just take the risk and buy the
> > device.
>
> I took the risk with the epson 4990

When did this happen?

> and ended up with the job to hack the
> backend, mostly because the firmware in the scanner made som funny things
> and have some funny features too. I hacked the epson driver, but this
> driver did not do the extended commands, but before I got the epson backed
> update to the extended commands the epson2 driver from Alessandro came up,

Is this code included in the 1.0.19 backend release?

> and it did the job for me, except for the funny buggy software of the epson
> 4990 scanner,

Wrong or old firmware file?

> which I have hacked today (it is in the driver now). Sow if
> your scanner not have funny firmware it proberly runs on epson2

The 4990 model is listed with "complete" support both in the epson backend and
the epson2 backend. This is somewhat strange as with a support status of
"complete" this should never happen.   :-(

> (if it use
> the ESC/I, but I think that both v700 and v750 use the ESC/I commands, but
> don't blame me if I'm not right) commands, but . We can too ask epson for
> the programmers manual, I did that with the 4990 and got them without
> problems.

How did you get these programmers manuals? Whenever I read something about
scanner support I see "no documentation available" and "reverse engineering
with USB traffic sniffing".

> I don't know how much you can do, can you compile a packet your self ? - do
> you programe/understand some c ?

I can read C programs to get the most basic idea what it should do, but this
is not nearly enough for driver development.   :-(

You offered a radically different view onto the support situation of the named
epson devices (4990 / V700). So I'm again a bit more uncertain about
purchasing one of these. But at the moment I'm lacking alternatives!

> Best
>
> Claus Boje

Best regards,
   Adolf Winterer