[sane-devel] SANE backend epson2 and Epson Perfection V700 Photo

Adolf Winterer adolf.j.winterer at inn-salzach.de
Mon Mar 17 07:11:45 UTC 2008

Hello Olaf,

Am Montag, 17. März 2008 01:19 schrieb Olaf Meeuwissen:
> Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> writes:

> >> Is Olaf reading the sane-devel list? Can I contact him?
> >
> >  He is reading and it usually answers quickly, I believe he is just
> >  busy.
>
> Yes, I am reading.  It's just that I only read the list when at work.

It is good to hear from you, thank you for chiming in.

> I don't have the product spec handy (and seeing that I added support
> to iscan

This is one of my real problems: iscan is 32-Bit software (right?), it will be
no real good for my 64-Bit environment. And there are less and less 32-Bit
Linux installations nowadays, adding to this problem.

> for this model about two years ago) so I'm not too sure about
> the device's functionality.  At a minimum the high resolution support
> will be lacking a bit.

Hm, it would be a real help if I knew what is missing or the other way around,
what is working properly.

> The upcoming iscan release (2.11.0) should
> address that, though.  Then in the TPU area, you will most likely be
> missing support for IR,

IR for the TPU is not on the top of my list, I could live without it.

> if it supports that (I think it does), but I'm
> not sure what Alessandro has added to the epson2 backend.  The only
> other thing that springs to mind at the moment is support for the push
> buttons.

OK, the buttons are a feature I won't need, definitely.   :-)

> Hope this helps,

It helps a little bit. The question I have to answer is: If I purchase a V700
Photo, do I get a working device with the epson2 backend or do I get an
expensive, useless brick on my desk? I no longer accept proprietary software,
there had been to many really bad experiences in the past and the situation
did NOT improve.

Is there a scanner product from Epson that is similar to the V700 Photo with
full support in SANE? If yes, what would you recommend?

From your mail address I see that you are working for Avasys. In the hope that
you have any influence inside Avasys or at least can relay this, please let
me state:
"Outside of Windows and MacOS, please move your support more to the open
source side, for scanners this would be the SANE project. A binary driver is
always cumbersome in an open source environment, be it Linux, *BSD,
OpenSolaris or others. A source file can be compiled on many platforms, i386,
amd64, ppc or other. But with a binary file you are stuck very fast as it
cannot be adapted or corrected. If Avasys lacks manpower, then at least be
generous with openly available documentation and / or participate in the
Linux Driver Project. Thank you."

Best regards,
   Adolf Winterer