[sane-devel] Well known sensor

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 19:33:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> wrote:
> Étienne Bersac <bersace03 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
>  >> This is, or isn't, SANE 2 stuff. You're not going anywhere with that
>  >> and SANE 1.
>  >
>  > I don't understand your sentence. I just mean renaming option in
>  > backend, change some option type. That is mostly a matter of
>  > implementation.
>
>  And breaking stuff while at it.
>

>  > Currently, SANE backend sensor implementation mean : "Something  happen,
>  > guess what". E.g. plustek backend provide "button 0" to "button 4", both
>  > integer with value 0. Once a button is pushed, value is 1. How can a
>  > frontend know what does mean "button 0"=1 ? Can guess "button 0"
>  > pressed. But what next ??
>
>  The backend doesn't know, either. Currently the buttons are used
>  mostly by custom frontends which do know what's hiding behind the
>  buttons.
>
>  There is no standard in SANE, which is a problem, but even worse
>  there's nothing standard accross all the hardware.
>
>  It's not a trivial problem to fix, as past discussions have shown.

the button should be called something as close as possible to the
writing on the scanner, not the front-end authors list of words he
understands. there is no 'email' button on a fujitsu, there is a 'Send
to' button. This is of course complicated by the fact that some
scanners have localized versions and some only have pictures.

then, you dont need to interpret the values, you only need to ask the
user- what do you want to do when 'Send to button' is pressed?

allan