[sane-devel] HAL and scanners.

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 19:54:29 UTC 2008

> unless you add 'backend' as an argument to the function.

Reread carefully, i talked about adding backend argument along UDI. ;)

> most backends could implement the function as returning a
> concatenation of 'libusb:', the vendor and device ids.

I guess you talk about bus number and device number.

>  the backends that return something else would
> actually have to talk to the scanner and get that info.
> what would scsi look like? you would have to be able to get the device
> file name from hal...

I do not have SCSI on my system, but the info.bus is "scsi". See hal
specification :
http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/hal-spec/hal-spec.html and search
scsi ;)

> i am not familiar with gnome-volume-manager

gnome-volume-manager handler high level hardware event like dvd
inserted, music player plugged, camera plugged, etc. and execute proper
action on it (import photos, launch dvd player, etc.) according to user

> it sounds like you would be better off
> firing up the backend whenever hal finds it, and leaving it running?

This is what hald-addon-scanner does. See distinct discussion HAL
scanner addon.