[sane-devel] HAL and scanners.

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 19:54:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

> unless you add 'backend' as an argument to the function.

Reread carefully, i talked about adding backend argument along UDI. ;)

> most backends could implement the function as returning a
> concatenation of 'libusb:', the vendor and device ids.

I guess you talk about bus number and device number.

>  the backends that return something else would
> actually have to talk to the scanner and get that info.
>
> what would scsi look like? you would have to be able to get the device
> file name from hal...

I do not have SCSI on my system, but the info.bus is "scsi". See hal
specification :
http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/hal-spec/hal-spec.html and search
scsi ;)

> i am not familiar with gnome-volume-manager

gnome-volume-manager handler high level hardware event like dvd
inserted, music player plugged, camera plugged, etc. and execute proper
action on it (import photos, launch dvd player, etc.) according to user
configuration.

> it sounds like you would be better off
> firing up the backend whenever hal finds it, and leaving it running?

This is what hald-addon-scanner does. See distinct discussion HAL
scanner addon.

Regards,
Étienne.