[sane-devel] Well known sensor

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 00:31:56 UTC 2008

On 3/17/08, Étienne Bersac <bersace03 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I read a bit the fujitsu backend source (sadly, i don't have such fuji
>  scanners). The sensor handling is exactly what i asked for :D !!
>
>  Each sensor is named "button-<id>" and <id> is not a number but
>  something like "send", "scan", etc. :) That is PER - FECT :D

i am glad you like it :)

>  I just suggest to expand this behaviour for each backend :
>
>       * Prefix sensor with "button-"
>       * Use semantic name
>               * "send" for button "send to", "mail", "mail to" or with a
>                 mail icon on the device
>               * "scan" for button triggering the scan
>               * "duplex" for duplex switch
>               * "powersave" once the scanner enter powersave state
>               * "adfopen" once the ADF is opened
>               * "paperin" once paper is inserted either in sheetfed
>                 scanner or ADF.
>               * "auto" for blank button that mean either "scan" or
>                 "cancel" depending on the current stage.
>               * other may come, of course
>
>  greping the source tree, backends plusteck, hp3900 and pixma use
>  "button-%d" or similar. Would be nice to have semantic button instead.
>
>  Can we publish a document describing such well known sensors ? This is a
>  tiny incremental evolution of SANE that can make a really good
>  difference for end user.

the fujitsu machines also have a 'function' digit, which ranges from
0-9. the windows software does boolean logic on this value, along with
the state of the other buttons and sensors, to provide many 'preset'
scan modes. it might be nice if your code could support that idea.

the duplex switch is the one i consider most problematic, and i have
considered hiding it, since the backend has a 'source' option to
control that. it is only on older scanners anyway.

i dont have a problem with making button names into well-known
options, as long as we agree that there are scanners with unlabelled
buttons, making button-%d your best option.

allan