[sane-devel] HAL scanner addon

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 18 09:58:07 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Mar 17 20:53 Étienne Bersac wrote (shortened):

> > sell us on the IDEA first, then lets look at the implementation.
> The most important goal of HAL is to provide plug-and-play facilities
> for UNIX

Could you explain which end-user issues do you like to solve?

> hal-scanner provide a addon (named hald-addon-scanner) adding
> scanner event propagation using SANE to poll registers and DBus

Which scanner events do you have in mind?
Only plug/unplug events or something else too?

> hald-addon-scanner also provide "scanner.sane.name" device name
> allowing frontend to directly open scanner on plug.

I am afraid, I do not fully understand what you mean with
"allowing frontend to directly open scanner on plug"?

Do you mean that when a scanner is plugged in, a frontend is
automatically launched with the SANE device name of the
currently plugged-in scanner as parameter like in
  xscanimage <backend>:libusb:a1b2:c3d4

How does this work when there are several scanners plugged?
Would then several frontends be launched?

What happens when the scanner is not plugged during system runtime
because it was already plugged during system boot?
Is the frontend then launched automatically or not?

Can the user configure that his preferred frontend is launched?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex