[sane-devel] Network scanners

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 18 09:01:38 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Mar 14 16:33 rozelak at volny.cz wrote (shortened):
> I would like to ask, how network scanners are supported.
> I am interested, as we have Canon iR2200 copy/printer/scanner
> (huge) machine in my work, and I would like to know if it
> can be accessed from linux (or SANE in general).

I think that the question is whether a SANE driver
(i.e. a SANE backend) is really needed to use it with Linux
or whether one can use this device also stand-alone.

Normally one can scan directly on a big and fat network
printer scanner copier and specify scan resolution
and image file format (e.g. tiff, PDF, ...) and all the
other scanning options directly at the device and in
particular one can specify an e-mail address to which
the device will send the scanned image file so that one
will receive the scanned image as a mail attachment
according to what was specified as image file format.

This way of operating is usually much more convenient
for the user because when you would use a SANE backend
you would have to specify all the scanning parameters
on your workstation by using a SANE frontend.
But your workstation is normally far away from the network
scanner device so that you would have to place a sheet in
the network scanner and post a big red note on the network
scanner that you are currently using it for scanning so that
others know what is going on and don't remove your sheet,
then walk back to your workstation to specify the scanning
parameters and start the scan and finally you would have
to walk again to the network scanner to fetch your sheet
and remove your note and walk back to your workstation.
Of course this way of operating is much better for the
physical health of the company staff ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex