[sane-devel] saned -d6 OK saned fails

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 14:27:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Geoff Lane <bunsen at tesco.net> wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2008 at 17:30, m. allan noah wrote:
>
>  This USER and GROUPS setup is losing me a wee bit.
>
>  I have followed the instructions as in the MAN pages, my inetd file showes the following line;
>
>  stream tcp nowait saned.saned /usr/sbin/saned saned
>
>  My scanner works fine on my host Linux computer and this host computer has a GROUP
>  named saned and scanner but no user named scanner.
>
>  What do I need to create to get inetd to make saned useable on the network?

reading the config line from right to left:

listen on port 'saned', run program '/usr/sbin/saned' as user and
group 'saned', and hand it the tcp stream.

so, check that you have saned listed in /etc/services, the binary
saned in /usr/sbin, the user saned in /etc/passwd, and the group saned
in /etc/group. that should get inetd to actually listen on the port,
and start the saned binary when you connect.

now, the scanner device files have their own permissions, which are
managed by various hotplug/udev type scripts, depending on the
OS/distro. the user saned must have permission to read/write to these
files as well. If your OS uses a 'scanner' group, you will probably
have to add 'saned' user to that group. If your system uses some other
mechanism, we will try to figure it out.

allan