[sane-devel] Possible inetutils-inetd problem

Geoff Lane bunsen at tesco.net
Thu Mar 20 18:10:31 UTC 2008

m. allan noah asked that I post this as it may be of assistance to others.

Recently I posted a message with subject of saned -d6 OK saned fails

I am running Ubuntu V 7.10 (Latest) and recently purchased a HP C5280 printer scanner, my
Linux Ubuntu machine acts as a server to 2 XP laptops.

Both laptops connected fine to the printer function over a network with my Linux Ubuntu
machine running a CUPS server.

The scanner worked fine on the Ubuntu machine via Xsane but I was unable to get the
scanner working via the network.

I was using the network version of Xsane and SaneTWAIN on my XP machine to attempt
connections.

I initially had inetutils-inetd installed but was unable to get port 6566 to show to networked
machines, a manually entered saned command with the -d flag, -d5 or above connected but I
got the following error messages;

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  geoff at challenger:~$ saned -d1
  [saned] main: [1] bind failed: Address already in use

 geoff at challenger:~$ saned -d4
 [saned] main: starting debug mode (level 4)
 [saned] main: [1] bind failed: Address already in use
 [saned] main: waiting for control connection

 geoff at challenger:~$ saned -d5
 [saned] main: starting debug mode (level 5)
 [saned] main: trying to get port for service `sane-port' (getaddrinfo)
 [saned] main: [0] socket () using IPv6
 [saned] main: [0] setsockopt ()
 [saned] main: [0] bind () to port 6566
 [saned] main: [0] listen ()
 [saned] main: [1] socket () using IPv4
 [saned] main: [1] setsockopt ()
 [saned] main: [1] bind () to port 6566
 [saned] main: [1] bind failed: Address already in use
 [saned] main: waiting for control connection

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I tried various 'Open Ports' scanning programs and none showed port 6566 as in use, all
expected ports showed up but not port 6566.

So, at this stage saned -d5 or higher allowed a remote computer to connect to my scanner
but less than 5 following -d did not allow a connection.

I'm not sure why the -d flag altered the connection but it did.

AsI had followed all advice and instructions and couldn't see why saned wasn't working via
inetd I decided to uninstal inetutils-inetd and try openbsd-inetd

This worked first go with no alteration of any configuration files by me.

So, on my Ubuntu machines inetutils-inetd DID NOT WORK whereas  openbsd-inetd
WORKED FINE.

Geoff Lane

-- Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club
-- www.whcc.co.uk