[sane-devel] HAL and scanners.

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Thu Mar 20 21:21:30 UTC 2008

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> in one mail you say that we cannot use this solution because of
> external backends, in this mail, you call them proprietary shit.

Two unrelated things. Proprietary backends are crap, all of them with
no exception.

But fact is, quite a lot of desktop users have no other choice today
than to rely on these backends, which brings us to ...

> what we are talking about will not break those backends, they just
> wont work immediately with HAL, just like all the weird PP scanners.

... this point. If the people proposing the HAL integration and stuff
today claim to care about the average desktop user, then they have to
care about proprietary backends.

Otherwise, they're just producing hot air and not helping anybody
while doing so, even less so the average desktop user.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169