[sane-devel] [05.20] Re: SANE2 standard completion

Rene Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Fri Mar 28 14:16:36 UTC 2008

Hi,

On 28.03.2008, at 11:52, Alessandro Zummo wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:34:22 +0100
> Rene Rebe <rene at exactcode.de> wrote:
>

>>> I believe that Stef has made very clear its intentions
>>> to go toward SANE 2. TWAIn for linux would be a complete
>>> rewrite of everything, and compatible changes to SANE1 are
>>> already available in SANE Evolution
>>

>> As SANE2 is a quite complete rewrite anyway, it makes more
>> sense to adopt and contribute to an wide industry standard
>> than to try to force yet another incompatible API into the wild.
>
> It's true that is a de facto standard, but it is so only
> for windows machines, right? So given that there is no prior
> art in the unix world and that the sane userbase is (I think)
> almost Linux, there's no particular reason to go for it.

Mac OS < 10 and Mac OS X as well. There is no reason
not to use it on Linux, Unix, ...

> SANE2 is a rewrite but it has a sense of coherence with
> SANE1 and with the user base.

When the SANE1 user- and application-base has to adapt
to incompatible rewrites they could also adapt to something
more standard.

Btw. most programs, like Gimp, OpenOffice et. al. come with
TWAIN support for the other OSs anyway.

Yours,

   Geschäftsführer: Susanne Klaus, René Rebe
   Sitz: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 105 123 B
   USt-IdNr.: DE251602478