[sane-devel] incompatible iscan-2.11.0

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 00:49:52 UTC 2008

On 4/30/08, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  On Apr 30 11:35 Olaf Meeuwissen wrote (shortened):
>
> > Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> writes:
>  > > On Apr 24 16:35 Olaf Meeuwissen wrote (shortened):
>  > >> Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> writes:
>  > >

> > > Because of legal issues we cannot do anything automatically
>  > > with proprietary stuff.

> > When a proprietary model requires a proprietary package that does not
>  > mean that SUSE (or any other distributor) has to provide it.  What
>  > distributors can provide the user with is a means to conveniently
>  > download the required package from its "canonical" location and
>  > install it.  This of course after warning the user that they are about
>  > to download and install third-party software that is absolutely not
>
> > supported by their distribution, that is non-free ...
>
>  Yes.
>  But this is not the "automatically" which I mean.
>  When I say "automatically", I mean something without
>  user interaction.
>  A user dialog is what I call "manually" - i.e. the user
>  must actively do something - even if this "something" is
>  perfectly guided by YaST.
>

>  > This can be as simple as the following proof of concept:
>  >
>  >   wget $url_to_proprietary_package
>  >   rpm -U $package
>

> No.
>  Before the wget I would have to show the right proprietary
>  license dialog so that the correct proof of concept is:
>
>  wget $url_to_license_text
>  show the proprietary license dialog
>  if the user accepts the license
>  then wget $url_to_proprietary_package && rpm -U $package
>  else show a "it cannot work" message.
>
>  This leads again to the same old question:
>
>  What are the reliable fixed URLs for the right versions
>  of your proprietary packages?
>
>  And to a new question:
>
>  What are the reliable fixed URLs for the right license
>  text for the right version of your proprietary packages?
>
>  Note that on the usres's computer an older version of the
>  epkowa backend may run.
>  I would have to make sure that YaST downloads the right
>  version of the proprietary package.
>  For example our business products Suse Linux Enterprise
>  Server (SLES) and Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED)
>  have a lifetime of several years (about 5 years, sometimes
>  even longer).
>  Usually there are no package version upgrades during
>  lifetime (except for severe bugs, e.g. security issues,
>  but e.g. not just because there are some more supported
>  models or some new features) so that it can happen that
>  a SLES/SLED user runs a 5 years old epkowa backend.
>  Compare
>  https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/30595
>
>  I cannot have the license texts preinstalled.
>  Guess what happens if a user finds them and wonders
>  why the hell he has proprietary software installed
> [...]

or, there is another solution- Novell/Suse (or anyone else, for that
matter) hires a developer to reverse-engineer some of the machines in
question. Legal problems and multi-platform problems all solved. Or,
we keep griping about it until one of us gets fed up enough to go out
and do it on his own, the v200 is only 75 USD...

allan