[sane-devel] SANE 1.1.0 Release discussion

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:56:58 UTC 2008

Lets talk about SANE 1.1.0 release, both timetables and deliverables.
I have tried to pick some things from recent discussions, and build on
the momentum provided by stef and julien. It is not my intention to
hijack this process, but I have some spare cycles coming up, and we
are all tired of talking :)

I have five general points for 1.1.x:

 - no changes to function calls
 - no changes to structures
 - 1.0 backends forward compatible with 1.1
 - improve backend consistency
 - support more advanced scanners

Based on those ideas, I propose:

1. Consistent, translatable option groups (please add/change to this list):
'Standard' = source, mode, resolution
'Geometry' = x/y and paper size params
'Enhancement' = bright/gamma/contrast/thresh, rif, sharpen, halftone
settings, etc
'Advanced' = compression, calibration, double/manual feed controls,
backlights, tests, dropout, etc
'Sensors/Buttons' = an option for every hardware button or sensor

others?

2. Consistent well known-options, button handling and papersize come
to mind. others?

3. Two new return codes: SANE_STATUS_HW_LOCK to tell the frontend that the
scanner has a hardware lock installed, and SANE_STATUS_WARMING_UP for lamp.

4. More SANE_FRAME types, jpeg, fax, IR, text, xml.

5. Add SANE_TYPE_HW_BUTTON for scanners' buttons. The constraint field would
allow to distinguish between push buttons (0 or 1 )and 'wheel buttons' (0 to
N).

6. Common debugging bitmask:

1 major errors
2 minor errors
4 function start/stop msgs
8 function detail msg
16 SANE_OPTION processing msgs
32 calibration msgs
64 outgoing command dump
128 incoming data dump

help me fix that...

6. Add common configuration reading function in sanei_* so that new or
maintained backends can benefit from it. Wholesale config file restructuring?

Other things from stef's list have been left out because the dont meet
my 5 points, anyone else have some more?

My plan is to work on this over the next two months, and aim for a
feature freeze around July 4th, with release close to July 30th,
though we could certainly accelerate that with some help.

Comments welcome.

allan